Had cancer. Noticed bladder infections after radiation therapy. Is this normal?

Yes, hello. I am a female,age 70. I had cancer of the anus with summer. I had 5 days of chemo at the beginning of 31 days of radiation and 5 days od chem at the end of the 31 days. About half way through radation I started having bladder infections, I have now had 10. Hardly get over one until I get another. At first the doctors at West clinic, Baptist Radation, my internist, cardiologist would check urine sample, prescribe antibiotic etc. I finally decided I should see a urologist. After seeing a highly recommended urologist 3 times I am still having them. I would like to see a urologist that specializes in women, can you recommend one? I should mention that the person I saw never examined me! I think the uretha might possible need stretching, have scare tissue etc. These things I have mentioned were never discussed. Needless to say my visits with him are over. I have other problems that interfer, on blood thinner, allergic to penicillin. The Rx I am taking now, I thought I had the flu until I called my druggist, he informed me chills, etc were a side affect. If you can help, I would really it.
Posted Sun, 8 Dec 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Radiation Cystitis Detailed Answer: Hello. Delighted to be able to help Side effects of radiation therapy on the lower urinary tract are very common (radiation cystitis, urethral stenosis), may even appear problems of upper urinary tract (renal hypofunction, ureter stenosis).I think the most suitable specialist to evaluate and treat your radiation cystitis is the Radiation Oncologist.Tell you that to treat radiation cystitis there are others effectives treatments such as: -Drugs by mouth as Pentosan polysulfate. -Bladder Washes with saline, aluminum and hyaluronic acid. -Physical Therapy with Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber. Your Radiation Oncologist will decide which the most appropriate treatment for you is. If He suspect urethral stenosis can recommend you go to the urologist to realize an endoscopy of the urethra and if your symptoms of radiation cystitis not improve with treatment prescribed may recommend you go to the urologist to realize and endoscopy of the bladder. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer. I wish you good health.