Had calf injury. Foot was put plaster. Had swelling. Ankle swollen after walking. What can be done?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2012
Dec 2012

Question
I have recently had a calf injury, my foot was put in a plaster cast for four weeks and when it came out it was a little painful to walk on he foot but I managed. There was also some swelling originally but the doctor said that would be water retention and when I started walking on it the swelling would dissipate. Two weeks later my ankle is still swollen and quite painful to,walk on, I have flown out to the USA from the UK and my leg is still swollen and after a days limping around on t it swells up to quite a size and is painful..elevating it worksmto reduce some of he swelling but the next day it just flares up again.....what do I need to do?
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It may require medical attention

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

Given that the swelling goes down after raising legs, it simply demonstrates that it is fluid retention and not an inflammatory ankle. The presence of a case, might be responsible by causing your blood vessels to poor circulate blood through your leg.
What you need to do is continue raising legs when sleeping or sitting, then walking. You may need vasodilators to help increase peripheral blood floor (you can only get this with prescription).
Use ice packs, antiinflammatory medication such as diclofenac or prednisolone, elevate legs, wear a surgical stockings (compressive) etc. If this persist, then you will need to see an orthopedic surgeon.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had calf injury. Foot was put plaster. Had swelling. Ankle swollen after walking. What can be done? 2 hours later
Hi, the cast was removed two weeks ago, the ankle does not lose all the swelling after it has been raised it just helps a bit. I am worried about DVT, is this a possibility?

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I do not think it is DVT

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow-up.

I do not think it is DVT but could be something not far from it as I tried to explain earlier. Vessels seem to have constricted some how due to placement of cast.
DVT does not present like that but has an acute onset, with severe swollen legs which do not reduce even upon elevating. The symptoms you presented are not that of DVT. As the name suggest it is a deep venous thrombosis where by thrombus forms in one of the limb veins then causes a blockage but in your own case, it could be poor venous return due to constricted blood vessels.

Hope this answers your question further.
Dr. Nsah

Follow-up: Had calf injury. Foot was put plaster. Had swelling. Ankle swollen after walking. What can be done? 47 minutes later
When they applied the cast for my calf injury they set it in dropped foot position and i had to use crutches to get around. How long will it torecoverfrom injury..

Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
3 months of now you should expect full recovery

Detailed Answer:

In about 3 months you should normally expect full recovery and be able to walk without crutches.

Hope this helps further
Dr. Nsah