Had c spine and lumbar surgery. Having severe pain in lower back, excessive salivation and mouth dropping and speech problems. Cure?

Nov 2013

I had C spine surgery in 2011 and had no problems. In Nov. of 2012, I had lumbar and S I 1 surgery. I had a second C spine fusion 4/1/13. I was doing quite well post-op. In XXXXXXX 2013, I began having same symptoms prior to my Lumbar fusions in Nov. I am currently having unbearable pain in my lower back,buttocks area warmer than other skin with weeping and pain radiating down my right leg to right foot. My vision is quite blurry with pain in both eyes, I have excessive salivation, pain in fingers, slight mouth dropping to left, had speech problems however, with therapy much improved. Unable to sleep, edema of lower extremities, heart rate goes from too fast to 60 or below. I have muscle spasms from cervical spine area to lower back. I went to the ER on Thursday however, the did not I was having a reaction to the titanium screws in my back and neck. I have researched a lot over the past weeks and It appears that I have symptoms of latent titanium reaction. Can you please advise. Others whom I know have similar problems after knee and hip replacements. Doctors think that we are crazy to ask if they think the metal from fusions is causing the problems. PLEASE HELP,I AM AFRAID!!!!

Posted Fri, 2 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 58 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.
I can understand the discomfort you are going through, however, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms are not due to latent titanium reaction.
I follow a lot of patients with similar surgeries and have not noted these adverse effects due to titanium. Titanium is an inert metal, and does not cause any nerve toxicity.
I would request you to undergo an MRI scsn of brain and spinal cord to identify the current problems, to look for any more pinched nerves in neck and lower back, and also any lack of blood flow to brain.
For the time being, you would benefit from medications such as pregabalin to reduce nerve pain, and physiotherapy.
I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist