Had bunion surgery done. Experiencing pain on both feet. Any remedy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I recently had bunion surgery on both of my feet. The right one was done November of 2012 and the left done February 2013. Why is it that I have experienced pain on both of my feet for up to a week after surgery when I am sleeping or have it elevated for longer than 10 min??
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The usual recovery period after bunion surgery is 6 weeks to 6 months, depending on the amount of soft tissue and bone affected. The pain in the feet that you have experienced is due to the soft tissue affected and the bone injury.
On lifting the pain aggravates as the blood supply to the area decreases. It causes an ischaemic pain in the area.
After the incision heals and the swelling decreases, the toe may look more normal and the pain vanishes. Mild pain may persist in some cases for upto 6 weeks. You need to continue taking the pain killers as prescribed by your orthopedician for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.