Had buck shot ammo, many pellets embedded in kidney, liver, spine and colon. Lead level is high. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I have been shot 5 times with buck shot ammo...I have many pellets embedded in me including in my kidney liver spine and colon...they tell me I cant have them removed...they are lead pellets copper lead level is high...what treatment is available to help me with lead poisoning...I am in Doctor says to keep doing blood work but has no treatment plan in place for lead poisoning.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Your case is rarity but there are reported cases of lead poisoning after beeing shot.
There are few possible treatments. the source of lead should be surgically removed if possible. since you said that doctors cant do it you should consider to remove at least those pellets which are close to bloodstream, intestinal mucosa or synovial spaces. Secondly there is chelation therapy with certain medicines which may not be very succesful but you must try with that.
YOu need to check your blood frequently of course. Poisoning will develop gradually so there is no need to hurry with surgical procedures. When critical lead level occurs, pellets should be removed no matter of risk. I am not sure why those in liver and colon shouldnt be removed. liver and colon resection are routine surgical procedures today...
Follow-up: Had buck shot ammo, many pellets embedded in kidney, liver, spine and colon. Lead level is high. Suggest? 45 hours later
I have been unable to find a specialist in my area to address my rare case...Do you have any referals for me? I am located in Williamsport Pa. 0000...ny leads you cold give me would be greatly appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
There is no some specific specialist which is expert in the field of lead poisoning.
it should be managed by multidisciplinary team of surgeons and internists especially abdominal surgeon and urologist which can remove lead from your abdominal cavity. I am sure that you can find those doctors in Philadelphia, university hospital or t XXXXXXX as I said,there is no need to hurry with treatment unless there is critical level of lead poisoning or there are some neurologic symptoms.