Had bronchitis. White blisters appeared inside lips, itchy rashes on upper arm. Taking valacyclovir. Suggestion?

About 3 months ago, after a bout of bronchitis, my lower lip began breaking out in white blisters both inside the lip and on the surface . There was also some darkening inside my mouth and roughening of the cheek areas inside. It got progressively worse. There is now also an itchy rash on the outside of my upper arms. I was treated in Hawaii with steroid injections and 12 days of a decreasing dosage of steroid tablets. There was mild improvement over 2-3 weeks but worsened again. Upon return to Vancouver, dermatologists at Van. Gen. Hospital. have had me on 1000mg Valacyclovir for 6 days with no improvement so far and the rash seemed to worsen with the latest med.My lip bleeds and oozes constantly as blisters break and scabs come loose. I use only Vaseline as a topical dressing. Any suggestions would be of interest.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 38 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.

From the medicine prescribed, I believe the doctors in Vancouver have suspected a Herpes simplex outbreak on the lips and hence prescribed the Anti viral tablet like Valacyclovir. This should be the first diagnosis also as you have suffered the outbreak after an attack of bronchitis.

Frequently after herpes infection in the lips and adjoining areas, there is a superimposed bacterial infection, which prolongs the recovery as well.
You might be suffering from this.

I would be able to guide you better if you can upload a clear picture of the lesions here. Please upload the pictures of both lips and the arm rash. You may send them to

with the subject 'ATTN DR.TANUSHREE BISWAS'.

Did you have bronchitis at Hawaii and were treated with steroids for the same?
Did the lip rash improve and recur again?
How long exactly is the arm rash?

I will be happy to answer your follow-up queries.

Wishing you good health,