Had bronchitis. On antibiotics. Having pain left side. hurts when I take deep breath. What to do?

Hi! I've had bronchitis for the past week. I've been to the doctor twice and put on antibiotics but now I have a sharp, stabbing pain on my left side. When I'm sitting still it doesn't really hurt but if I cough, sneeze, take a deep breath, or turn I feel that bad pain. What is it and what cand I do?
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is costochondritis.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

The pain you are experiencing is due to a condition called `Costochondritis`. This is because of the inflammation of the cartilage which connects ribs to the sternum in the middle of the chest. Trauma due to bouts of cough is one of the causes of this condition.

Costochondritis is a benign condition and generally heals by itself. I do hope your bronchitis is cured and there is nothing wrong with your lungs. You may take a pain killer, apply some local analgesic ointment and apply local heat. Avoid physical over exertion. While coughing or sneezing support the painful area with your hands. This will give a splinting effect reducing the pain