Had broken ribs and hurting. How long will this pain last?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Apparently I broke my 6th and 7th rib back in July and it still hurts went to the doctor recently and found out they were broken how long is this pain going to last feels like forever
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
They should be healed by this time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Generally, rib fractures heal spontaneously without any issues within 2 months. It is quiet unusual to find them ununited and still hurting you even after 3 months.

The reasons for this could be
- osteoporosis & Vitamin D deficiency in you (which can be know by undergoing Bone mineral density test & Vitamin D blood levels estimation)
- Inadequate immobilization of the injured area
- Inadequate calcium supplementation during the healing phase of the fractures
- Smoking delays the healing of fractures (this applies only for smokers)

So, there is absolutely nothing to worry about the situation as the rib fractures inevitably heal. May be you have to wait a few more weeks.

No intervention is necessary except for using simple analgesics like Tylenol & regular calcium supplements till the fractures unite.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further