Had breathlessness, felt like a stroke. Smelling something burning, a sign of stroke?

My husband said yesterday that he had a hard time breathing, he said he might had a stroke, but he ignored it, and this morning he said he kept smelling burnt toast. Is smelling burnt toast or something burning really a sign of stroke?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Difficulty in breathing or shortness of breath followed by altered smell sensation like smelling of burnt toast might be a symptom of stroke as brain ischemia stimulates different parts of brain causing parosmia.
You should not ignore his symptoms as they do need a medical attention. Do consult your physician for an early diagnosis and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.