Had breast cancer. Smear test done. Should I go for hysterectomy?

May 2013
Hi i am 57yrs old and 4 years ago i had breast cancer. My smear test result now is - Squamous superficial cells present, squamous parabasal cells present, squamous metaplasia present, endocervical cells present, dyskaryosis abscent, koilocytes abscent, erytrocytes abscent, neurtrophils present, dyskeratosis abscent, inflammation present. Overall smear components satisfactory - An atrophic smear, exhibiting abundant poly neutrophils and inflammatory degenerative cellular changes. This picture is keeping with an atrophic cervicitis.
That is the result, do you think i should have a hysterectomy as a preventive measure? thanks
Posted Sat, 20 Oct 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

As your pap smear report is not showing any abnormality there is no need to go for hysterectomy.
You can undergo periodic pap smear examinations to detect any abnormality at the earliest.
Better to undergo regular two yearly pap smear tests till the age of 70.
As there is no indication it is unnecessary to undergo major surgery like hysterectomy just as preventive measure.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.