Had brain tumor removed. Taking keppra, tribenzor, metformin, fish oil vitamins. What are the interactions if any?

I am taking keppra 500mg 2xdaily, tribenzor 40-5-12.5 and metformin 250 mg 2xdaily. Also over the counter B-100 Complex, Super D3 complex and fish oil vitamins. What are the interactions if any? I just started taking the metformin 2 days ago and have had a little diarreah a coule of times. Should I stop taking the medformin.. Am taking the keppra because I had a brain tumor removed in November 2012.

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2013 in Brain Tumor
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later

Keppra is an anticonvulsant which is given to prevent seizures as brain tumor surgery patients are prone for seizures.

Other drugs which you are taking usually have no significant drug interactions except tribenzor is known to reduce the effect of metformin. Hence you need to monitor blood sugar carefully and adjust the dose of metformin accordingly.

Metformin's most common side effect is diarrhea. But couple of times of diarrhea is acceptable because sugar control is more important. If diarrhea persists then you need to talk to your physician about changing drug. So, there is no need to stop metformin at this stage.

Be careful about not taking too much SuperD3 vitamins on your own without consultation. It could result in hypervitaminosis.

I am happy to help you if you have any other queries.

Dr. Balaji Chinnasami