Had brain cancer, platelets are low for chemotherapy and taking avastin. Had bone marrow biopsy. What could be the reason for low platelets?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My husband has brain cancer for three years. His platelets are to low for chemo he has been taking Avastin but now they are 40,000 to low for Avastin. They can't figure what is making platelets go down they did a bone marrow biopsy and that came back fine also did cat scan no bleeding for the last two he has felt awful nothing hurts no fever they have did thyroid test and several others . Do you have any suggestions?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There can be possibility of reccurance/metastasis

Detailed Answer:

I have studied your case with diligence.

As per your history and reports there is possibility of recurrence of brain tumour or there can be possibility of metastasis.
As your blood reports are normal I will advise you to do PET scan to look for any lesion in initial stage.
If platelet reduces much lower then you may need platelet transfusion.
SPD [Single platelet donor] will helpful in platelet transfusion.
Till time drink more water and improve immunity by taking healthy food.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.