Had bowel obstruction after ventral & umbilical hernia repair. Having abdominal pain. Reason?

Dec 2012

Hi. I had ventral & umbilical hernia repaired in April 2012. In October, I had a bowel obstruction secondary to an adhesion of hernia repair. I was also constipated for 3 days. surgeon removed the mesh & 6 inches of my intestine. I currently suffer from pain in the medial right abdomen. My obgyn stated I have hernia & doesn't recommend hernia repair since I am trying to get pregnant. What is your recommendation? Also, I caught a stomach virus. For 2 days, I had loud gurgling noises, loss of appetite & pale yellow stools. I got on the BRAT diet & felt better yesterday; however, did not have a bowel movement. Today, I ate fiber plus cereal & now have the loud gurgling stomach noises. I just had yellow stools again. What should I eat without getting constipation? I don't want to have another bowel obstruction.
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 36 minutes later

Thanks for posting on XXXXXXX

From you are having an intestinal colic secondary to indigestion. Your previous surgical interventions might be the cause of this.
What you should avoid? Any food that does not contain sufficient moisture or fluid such as dry cereal ( when consumed should be accompanied by much drinking of water).
What to eat to avoid constipation? Increase the quantity of fruits and v. egetables that are eaten. This means a minimum of five servings of fruits or vegetables every day. For many people, however, the amount of fruits and vegetables that are necessary may be inconveniently large or may not provide adequate relief from constipation. In this case, fiber supplements can be useful.
The most common sources of fiber include:
- fruits and vegetables,
- wheat or oat XXXXXXX
- psyllium seed (for example, Metamucil, Konsyl),
- synthetic methyl cellulose (for example, Citrucel), and
- polycarbophil (for example, Equilactin, Konsyl Fiber)
The different sources of fiber should be tried one by one. The fiber should be started at a low dose and increased every one to two weeks until either the desired effect on the stool is achieved or troublesome flatulence interferes. (Fiber does not work overnight.)
Then you may also rely on lubricant laxatives if constipation is present.
Drinking as much water as possible is the key.
Also allow for your stool to be tested for possible infections.
You should probably follow your obgyn advise on not getting a hernia repair except it becomes a problem to your immediate health. I suggest you also seek opinion from your surgeon or another gynob about the repair (different school of thoughts do exist when it comes to that).

Hope this helps and let me know if you got other questions or wish for more clarification.
Dr Bernard
Follow-up: Had bowel obstruction after ventral & umbilical hernia repair. Having abdominal pain. Reason? 57 minutes later
What treatment do you recommend for the intestinal colic?
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 9 minutes later
Well some antispasmodic medication (OTC if possible such as hyoscin butyl 10mg), antiparasitic medication (OTC mebendazole or albendazole), drink much water, eat more fruits and avoid food with too much fat or too greasy. Practice home exercise and bowel relaxation techniques.
The trick with your present situation, when you eat something and your stomach does not feel good, you take some water and fruits and try not taking the same food in any large quantity or you avoid it entirely for a while till you can figure out by yourself what works or does not work for you.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
I welcome more questions if you still have some and please if you are satisfied do accept my answer.
Thank you
Dr Bernard