Had both knees replaced. Knees are bothering. Is this normal?

I had both knees replaced at 42.Now 57 and my knees are bothering me again.Is this normal
Posted Thu, 31 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
This is a normal finding.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Knee replacements unfortunately do not last forever. Knee replacement implants may fail after 10 to 15 years. It has been 15 years since you got your knees replaced. Usually after 12-15 years, you start getting pains and restriction of movements with stiffness.
It is time to go for a follow up check up to your surgeon. You might need a revision knee replacement surgery.
You will need investigations like sets of x-rays, blood tests to exclude infection, nuclear bone scanning to detect for early loosening and possible needle aspiration of knee fluid for microbiological examination.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal