Had boils on thigh. Boils clotted, noticed swelling and pain on thigh. How to reduce this?

I had a boil on my thighs and it clotted yesterday.
BUt there is swelling around that area which is paining very much.
What can I do to reduce it?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 minutes later
Boils or furuncles are associated with swelling, redness, warmth and tenderness of surrounding areas.
To treat the same
1) do warm saline water compresses twice to thrice in a day. This would liquify the contents inside and help in drainage of the lesion. This would also reduce inflammation, swelling and tenderness or pain of surrounding areas
2) apply mupirocin cream twice in a day for early healing
3) take tablet ibuprofen to reduce tenderness and swelling

Usually with these steps, the boil and swelling around it should subside. If it still persists along with these measures, oral antibiotic like augmentin might be required for five to seven days.
Hope that helps.