Had blood work done and my triglycerides readings are high. Take tricor?

I had blood work done and my triglycerides reading were high at 496.. I am 51 years old and doctor prescribed tricor 145 mg
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The triglycerides at 496 are too high. You do need to take cholesterol lowering drugs like Tricor regularly.
Lifestyle modifications have equal importance along with medicines.
To increase your HDL you can start exercising regularly, stop alcohol and smoking.
To decrease the triglyceride levels-
1. reduce saturated fat intake
2.     Maintain good body composition
3.     Increase dietary fiber
4.     Increase aerobic exercise
In addition to the low fat low cholesterol diet, you should add more soluble fibre in your diet. Good sources of soluble fiber include oats, certain fruits (such as oranges and pears) and vegetables (such as brussels sprouts and carrots), and dried peas and beans.
Both a healthy diet and regular physical exercise can lead to another important tool in lowering cholesterol.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.