Had blood work done. Liver readings were fine, but creatinine was double. Anything serious?

Nephrologist
Question
I had a blood work done. Liver readings were fine, but creatinine was double the acceptable level...kidneys were fine, everything else fine. Does this mean I am in serious trouble? I believe alcohol could be the cause. I have 4-5 drinks, 3-4 times a week. Otherwise, I am healthy, not overweight 40 year old male.
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

The usual cut off limit for normal creatinine is 1.2 so I am guessing your creatinine is 2.4. In order to come to a conclusion whether your kidney injury is reversible or not I need to know a few more details.

1. Is the size of the kidney normal on the ultrasound?
2. Does urine routine show leakage of proteins? if yes how much?
3. What are your BUN and Uric acid values?
4 How much is your urine output per day?
5. Do you have any swelling of feet?
5. Do you have diabetes or hypertension? If yes since how many years?

I would like to add that I am currently pursuing my DM- Nephrology course after completing my XXXXXXX medicine, so I am in a good position to answer to your query

Please get back to me
I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Had blood work done. Liver readings were fine, but creatinine was double. Anything serious? 24 minutes later
the blood work also checked my kidneys..I was told it was fine...last ultrasound in March showed a normal kidney size. I had a fatty liver in november, but then lost 25 lbs and when I had a second ultrasound in feb, it showed only mild fatty liver. No swelling, no diabetes. I urine maybe 5 times a day. Otherwise, i am healthy. Run 4 km everyday, eat no meat, non smoker..just I drink beer 4 times a week, thats my concern...so this means my kidneys are "damaged"?

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the quick reply

If your ultrasound shows normal sized kindeys and your blood work says your kidneys are fine then you have nothing to worry about.
Few symptoms of kidney related problems are
1. Swelling of legs and puffiness of face
2. Decreased urine output
3. Nausea and vomiting

I hope I was of help, if u have any more queries please get back to me

Follow-up: Had blood work done. Liver readings were fine, but creatinine was double. Anything serious? 51 minutes later
can you elaborate on why the creatinine levels are so high? IS it the alcohol? That was the purpose of my question...

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alcohol tends to affect the liver first and then the kidneys

Detailed Answer:

Alcohol does not directly effect the kidneys so it is not the alcohol which has caused the higher creatinine levels. Alcohol tends to affect the liver first and then the kidneys.

Your creatinine could have been high for various other reasons most commonly being dehydration and next being a Both these conditions are treatable and the creatinine will go back to normal once treated.

Other causes for raised creatinine with normal kidney size is nephrotic syndrome but since you did not have any pedal edema (swelling of the leg) it is ruled out.

Please approach a nephrologist soon.