Had blood test to check thyroid level. Hair is loosing and have fatigue. What are the findings?

Hello Doctor,
I recently had a blood test to check my thyroid level as my hair is loosing every day, My T3 is 128.85. T4 is 9.3 and TSH is 5.18. I think TSH is high and I am having hypo/ hyper thyroid problem, I did blood test two months back, I am having fatigue and tired feeling always. What are the next step I can take to make everything normal, can you guide me ?
Posted Tue, 23 Jul 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX

It seems that you are having hypothyroidism. Though the T3 and T4 levels are normal, they may become lower when the reserves in the body are depleted. My suggestions will be as follows:

1. Take thyroid supplements for example eltroxin tablet after consultation with your physician. Start with the lowest dose 12.5 mcg and increase slowly every day till you find the dose that relieves you of your fatigue symptoms and does not cause symptoms of hyperthyroidism. The symptoms of hyperthyroidism are irritability, nervousness, palpitations, etc.

2. Also get an ultrasound on the thyroid to rule out any nodules in the thyroid.

3. Get other blood tests done to rule out other common causes of fatigue like infections, etc.

4. Also repeat the test. It seems that the symptoms are getting worse in you. It is possible that you have already used the thyroid hormones reserves in your body.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: Had blood test to check thyroid level. Hair is loosing and have fatigue. What are the findings? 10 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply ! Could you please tell me if nodules are there is it curable with medicine or any surgical procedure is needed? I had all other blood test and everything was normal. I am having throat problems always and usually I took antibiotics when I feel throat problems. But last two months back only I understood it is due to thyroid issues. My present BMI is normal, I am having 58 kg and 5, 3 heaight, Is there any chance to increase weight ? Please help me !
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 56 minutes later
Hi again

First of all you need to relax.

The report is not showing that bad a thyroid problem. I do not think that the throat infection is being caused by hypothyroidism. It can be the other way round. The virus causing sore throat may be attacking the thyroid instead.

If nodules come up on a thyroid scan then the treatment will depend on many factors like size and number of nodules, activity of nodules, your age, other treatments available, etc.

Yes if the hypothyroidism gets worse, then you may gain some weight.

I will recommend that you take the following steps to deal with repeated sore throats and other conditions:

1. Get blood tests done to rule out low immune states. The blood tests can include complete blood count, immunoglobulin levels, blood sugar levels, etc.

2. Also get your blood pressure measured.

3. Exercise regularly at least 20 min a day. Exercise can include walk, gym, yoga, cycling, aerobic exercises, etc. Take a snack before you go for exercise. Do not over exert at any single exercise.

4. Diet changes are very important. Take frequent and small meals. 3 proper meals and 3 small snacks are advised. Include fruit and vegetables in every meal and snack. Take hygienic food and pure drinking water to avoid unnecessary infections. Reverse osmosis technique produces purest water.

5. Antibiotics are not usually advised in sore throats as sore throats are caused by viruses. Thus avoid unnecessary medication.

Dr Vaishalee
Follow-up: Had blood test to check thyroid level. Hair is loosing and have fatigue. What are the findings? 16 minutes later
Thanks a lot doctor...I am so happy on your reply !

I am doing workout at gym and following a healthy veg diet as I am vegetarian.

I am relived a lot now and XXXXXXX you again doctor ..

Take care...Bye..
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 6 minutes later
Thanks for consulting me.....