Had blood test. What are the findings from the report?

I had my blood test done last week and the report says Alert !!! RBCs: Moderate anisocytosis mild poikilocytosis. Predominantly normocytic normochromic cells with microcytes and ovalocytes.what does this mean.should i take any medicines
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Each parameter explained for your understanding Detailed Answer: Hello ma'am and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I should rightfully start by saying that the 'Alert' is issued every time there is an abnormal result, even if it is mildly abnormal and negligible. For your better understanding I shall list all the results mentioned by you, and their meaning, so you can better understand what it means. 1. Anisocytosis: Reports that red blood cells are not of equal size, usually seen in anemia, vitamin deficiciencies, etc. You have a moderate grade of the same. Are your RBC or Hemoglobin levels normal ma'am? This is easily treated once the cause is found. Not a serious finding at all. 2. Poikilocytes: Are abnormally shaped red blood cells. Various causes like vitamin deficiency, etc. So finding the cause and treating it will treat the condition. Again, not serious at all. 3. Predominantly normocytic normochromic cells: Normal result 4. Microcytes are small red blood cells, which is what reports the anisocytosis 5. Ovalocytes: Are oval-shaped red blood cells, which relates with the finding of poikilocytes The most probable causes according to me would be iron deficiency anemia, sickle cell anemia, infectious anemia, thalassemia or hereditary ovalocytosis (oval shaped red blood cells since birth). No medications would be required as of now ma'am, only more elaborate investigations would be required to find the cause, and then accordingly treat it. I hope I have succeeded in clearing your queries and explaining things to you in a manner you best understand. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications or information, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had blood test. What are the findings from the report? 21 hours later
Thanks for your reply and for your explanation. I have uploaded the entire report of my blood test.Kindly check the report and please do let me know whether any medicines are required or can it be rectified with normal food. Incase of iron deficiency what are the symptons and how is it going to affect my health. would be glad to receive your reply for the same
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Iron deficiency anemia is the diagnosis Detailed Answer: Hello once again XXXX. I have gone through your reports and as I had earlier suspected, you do have an iron deficiency. The normal range for iron in women is between 60 - 180 µg/dL, whereas you have a level of 21.22 µg/dL, which is clearly deficient. Treatment of iron deficiency anemia includes: -Iron supplements to be taken on an empty stomach and along with vitamin C supplements in order to increase absorption -Look for and rule out or treat other causes of iron deficiency anemia like heavy menstrual bleeding, gastric ulcers, etc. I would also like to point out that your cholesterol levels are slightly elevated, I would advise you to increase your physical activity, add exercise to your daily regimen and also lose weight if you are overweight (if you do not mind, you could provide me with your exact height and weight, so I can calculate your BMI and help you understand which category you belong to; i.e. whether healthy weight or not). I hope you found my response both helpful and informative ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help. Best wishes.
Follow-up: Had blood test. What are the findings from the report? 16 hours later
Hello doctor, Thanks a lot for diagnosis and advice. As I have been having heavy menstrual bleeding I have been advised to take Fortiron tablets daily.Will this help in iron deficiency or should I go for some other iron tablet. And regarding my weight I am 65kg, my height is around 5' 1". Please advise me whether I should stick to any particular food which will bring down my cholestrol level. Awaiting your esteemed opinion
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. it is good; BMI-27, overweight Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX. You are most welcome. Fortiron should do fine, please follow the dosage as advised by your doctor. But, please also be informed that correcting an iron deficiency is time-consuming, be patient and all will be fine. Also, increase your iron intake through your diet. As for your basal metabolic index (BMI), it has been calculated to be 27.0, which places you under the overweight category. This is the reason why I had asked for your height and weight. You will have to lose weight, increase your physical activity and add exercise to your daily regimen in order to reduce your cholesterol. I hope I have succeeded in explaining things well enough to you. Please always feel free to write back to me and also keep in touch in the future, if the need arises.