Had blood test. All normal except mpv 13.3fl. Serious?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
Hi I'm a 35 old female. I took my routine blood tests all came back fine just my mpv is a bit high 13.3fl. Is it serious??
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 27 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

High mpv can indicate certain more or less serious hematologic disorders. But this result is definitely not a clinically significant elevation and is normally found in healthy people especially if other blood findings are normal. So you don't have to be concerned at all.

Just repeat test in 3-6 months and see will there be progression. If there will be mpv higher than 14 you need to do further tests.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Had blood test. All normal except mpv 13.3fl. Serious? 1 hour later
So I don't have to think that I might having stroke soon? The platelets came 195. One other thing shall I do cardio with high mpv?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi madam.

There is no risk of stroke or coronary incidents because these results of mpv with normal platelet count isn't indicating anything serious and it doesn't raise the risk of stroke. More important is to regulate Cholesterol levels, quit smoking, regulate body weight and blood sugar. And of course you can do cardio. This is even advisable.

My cholesterol is very good as well. Thanks alot for your help

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 minutes later

Well, then great. You don't have to worry. Just do blood work 1-2 a year and that's all you need.

Wish you good health.