Had blood in stool. Why am I constipated and have discomfort in tailbone? Why does it feel bruised?

I had blood in stool one time, a month ago. Have been having constipation more frequently in recent months. Have pressure/discomfort in my tailbone area while having bowel movement or after sitting and then coming to standing position. It feels bruised, even to touch but I have had no recent trama to the area. I have no visible bump/cysts.
I am 32, female
I don't know if I need to go to a Dr. and if so, what type of Dr.? I do not have a family Dr.
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

From the symptoms that you are having, two causes need to be evaluated. These are :
1)     Hemorrhoids
2)     Coccydynia

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Just make sure to increase your fluid intake when you increase your fiber in the diet. You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids. However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon.

Follow these measures for relief from the symptoms of coccydynia:

1)     Avoid sitting down for long periods of time. When seated, sit on hard surfaces and alternate sitting on each side of the buttocks. Also, lean forward and direct your weight away from the tailbone.

2)     Take adequate rest and apply cold compresses, avoid re-injury to the affected area and take some antiinflammatory and pain medications like ibuprofen(motrin) or diclofenac. Some severe cases with persistent coccydynia are treated with local cortisone injection and surgical resection of the coccyx.

3)     You can also use a "doughnut" cushion or pillow to sit on. This cushion has a hole in the middle of it to prevent the tailbone from contacting the flat surface.

4)     Also eat a high fiber diet foods to soften stools and avoid constipation.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.