Ask a Urologist   »  

Had blood in semen. Catheter in penis very painful. All blood tests are fine. Suggest the treatment?

Question
I had blood in semen on 2 recent occasions; white and normal 1 week ago*
Was in hospital for new hip. Cateheter in penis very painful; no sexual activity or underwear for 5 weeks till *
Can now walk without cane; pain pills and warafin stopped
No pain no problem urinating color of urine normal flow normal volume normal
Testicles soft and round no hardening or discoloration
All hospital blood tests including pressure fine
New underwear
Posted Sat, 2 Nov 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood seen during or after catheter removal?Normal

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

From what I understand the urinary catheter was in place for sometime? Was the blood in the urine noticed at this time? Or was the blood in urine noticed before the catheter was in place or just a few days after it was removed?

In most cases, while placing the catheter a small amount of stretching of the muscles withing the urethra takes place, which can cause small amount of blood to be seen in the urine. This same process can take place even during removal of the catheter causing blood to be seen. But once healing takes place, this blood can and will subside. This is a completely normal phenomenon and is absolutely nothing to worry about.

I hope I have succeeded in explaining this to you well enough. If I have not explained it clearly or if you have any more clarifications, feel free to write back to me. I shall surely help you.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had blood in semen. Catheter in penis very painful. All blood tests are fine. Suggest the treatment? 18 hours later
The blood is in the semen from two most recent ejaculations. No blood in urine before or after catheter in for approx. 23 hours.

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ureteroscopy and KUB ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

Thank you for that information. It could still be possible that the catheter that was in place could have caused some damage, which could have resulted in a more recent bleed; but this is one of the assumptions.

I would advice the following investigations sir, which would help in finding the exact site of the bleed and eventually the cause. A ureteroscopy and an ultrasound KUB (kidney, ureter and bladder).

These investigations are quite accurate, and will surely be able to find the exact cause. You can discuss the same with your doctor sir. I hope you understand why investigations would be necessary; as the source is within, we will have to visualize the inside. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.

Follow-up: Had blood in semen. Catheter in penis very painful. All blood tests are fine. Suggest the treatment? 20 hours later
Is an ultrasound of the testicles and reproductive delivery tubes also necessary?

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it would be required as well

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir.

Yes, this would also be necessary as the blood was seen in the semen.

I hope this helps. Hoping for the best.