Had blood in mid cycle, tender breasts. Have IUD. Sonogram showed thick uterus lining and follicle. Meaning?s

hi yes i had a sonogram done yesterday and the tech said that i had a thick uterus lining and she saw small follicles...what does this mean?
My cycle that i have been tracking for a year is about 37 day cycle but about 2 weeks after my period i had blood when i wiped myself and my breasts have been very tender as well as light not due to ovulate until may 3rd which is today and im supposed to get my period on may period lasts about 5 days...i have the iud but i know there is a small chance you can still get i?...what does all this mean and what happened
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 1 hour later

Women menstrual cycle contain two phase one is follicular second is leuteal phase. In the follicular phase ovary has follicle which released egg during ovulation if egg not fertilized it become corpus leuteum that release progesterone that prepare the endometrium to implant the fertilized egg otherwise it sheds off means menstruation occurs.

In your case IUD (Intra uterine device) there which inhibit fertilized egg to implant and some hormone released by IUD inhibit ovulation also.

Your sonogram shows uterus lining is thick but follicle is small means it is not growing so fertilization not occur and endometrium sheds during menstruation.

These symptoms because of hormonal changes also.

You should consult a gynecologist for your symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.If you have any further questions I will be happy to help you.