Had blood drawn. Noticed that the nurse had hole in her glove also blood stain. Not replaced from he previous patient. Chances of HIV infection?

HIV AIDS Specialist
i would like to ask a question about hiv and std's. I recently went and had blood drawn at a labcorp and I noticed that the nurse or phlebotomist had a puncture/hole in her glove which she did not replace from the previous patient/patients. Now she had some red stain on her glove which could have been blood from the previous patient or it could have been blood from herself as she may have had a cut where blood had seeped thru her hole in the glove. so my questions are 1) if the phlebotomist did have a cut where blood seeped thru the puncture hole in the glove and she was in fact HIV positive or had some other std could she have infected me if she touched the needle and accidently put on the needle before going into my arm. Im worried about the thought of her contaminating the needle before injecting it in my arm; and 2) if the previous patient had HIV and got blood on the phlebotomists gloves and then touched the needle thereby contaminating the needle before injecting in my arm could I get HIV or any other STD? 3) could the phlebotomist have infected me by touching my puncture wound with infected blood on her gloves from herself or the previous patient..Im sorry for the length and detail of the questions but im freaked out bc the nurse/phlebotomist never changed gloves from the previous patient and seeing red stain scared me. thank you. I had asked Doctor's on the STD forum and was told I had posed my third question in 6months and therefore was told to come to the site. I would appreciate it if I could get some answers as I am on the verge of getting engaged and would like to be sure I am ok. thank you very much
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

I can understand your anxiety as you are going to get engaged soon.

The answer to all your questions is same and the chances of getting HIV/STD is negligible.

Wearing gloves is mainly to protect the health care provider, nurse or phlebotomist and to an less extent to prevent the transmission to the patient.

Even if the nurse is a HIV positive woman, or if she handled a HIV positive individual just prior to handle you, If she could touch the needle and if she had touched the point of puncture, HIV and STD can not be transmitted in these ways.

Genital or anal contact with minor abrasion and exchange of body fluids can only transmit the infection. Spreading through touching is negligible as per CDC, Atlanta.
So you need not worry about this.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had blood drawn. Noticed that the nurse had hole in her glove also blood stain. Not replaced from he previous patient. Chances of HIV infection? 5 minutes later
Does this mean I can not get hiv or any std like hepatitis or any other bloode borne disease for example this way?

I'm a little confused w the word negligible I guess. I thought if the nurse accidentally touched the needle and contaminated that would be enough to infect me bc the Needle would have gone deep enough in the body to infect. Sorry to bother w my questions.
Thank u
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 26 minutes later
Welcome back.

All the situations narrated by you is not so uncommon in health care set up. Health care providers usually wash their hands with antiseptic lotions or with soap and water after handling one patient with gloved hands which protects them and also the next patients handled by them. Like wise needles will not be touched by a well trained provider, even if it had been touched it will be touched with the sterilized fingers at least with the surgical spirit.
So you will not get HIV or STD through this method. In our more than 20 years of experience, there was no such incidence happened even though such situations were happened quite often.

Negligible, the word used by the CDC, Atlanta and it means almost nil.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Had blood drawn. Noticed that the nurse had hole in her glove also blood stain. Not replaced from he previous patient. Chances of HIV infection? 32 minutes later
Just one last question please and I will not take up any more of Ur time. I just want to make sure that Ur answers and responses are pertaining to the fact that the nurse did not switch gloves and there may have been blood from her own hands/fingers bc there was a puncture in the glove and also the possibility that it could have been the blood of an hiv patient before me?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
Welcome back.
Normally a health care provider is expected to seal her wound with waterproof dressing before wearing a gloves, has to dispose if the gloves if torn or broken and change new gloves, wash the gloves in between seeing patients and if she received any wound during duty, they have to take care of the wound and then go for their work if it is possible.

There may be deviations according to their situations and need.
Anyhow, the chances of getting HIV/STD is remote through such contamination of blood through the break in gloves.
Once again I assure you that your chance to get STD and HIV is negligible.
DR S.Murugan