Had blood drawn. Had a sharp pain from arm to wrist. Why is it not healing?

I had blood drawn a week ago last Friday. At the time of insertion of the needle I experienced a sharp pain radiating down my arm from half way between elbpw and wrist. A week and a half later I cannot straighten my arm without sharp pain. Feels like electric shock and/or needles. Any thoughts?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 43 minutes later

You say you experienced a sharp pain between your elbow and wrist while blood was being drawn a week back. Now you experience pain when you straighten your hand which is like an electric shock with pins and needles. I think what has happened is that while probing with the needle for drawing blood; a nerve has accidentally been touched. This has led to your problem.

You can try taking a B-complex preparation with1500 mcgs of B-12, 2mg of B-1 and 3 mgs of B-6--once a day for a week. If it starts reducing, continue for a month. You can also take an anti-inflammatory preparation like Ibuprofen for a week. Ibuprofen is a prescription medication, Please get it prescribed from your doctor. But if it worsens or does not improve, do see your doctor, and do get back if you have a follow up query.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.