Had blocked ear and told to be inflamed, prescribed antibiotic. No pain but feeling of air trapped. Suggest?

ENT Specialist
I have had a blocked up left ear since 2 weeks and it is beyond frustrating, I saw my doctor and he told me I had an inflamed ear (something to do with the membrane) and I was prescribed some Antibiotics.
I haven't had any pain from this luckily, just a constant feeling like air is trapped in my left ear, strange noises from that ear (a sort of cracking now and then) . I am still on antibiotics and its not helping me. Pleas suggest

Posted Tue, 1 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take medicines

Detailed Answer:
Blocked sensation or feeling of air trapped in ears or hearing of strange noises could be because of fluid in ear. That could be becuase of poor Eustachain tube function (Tube connecting middle part of ear and back of nose) which normally open and closes and maintain middle ear pressure same as outside pressure.

I think, this tube isn't functioning properly. This like - infection in nose, in flight when due take off and landing, long term reflux from stomach and so on.

In such situations, I usually order impedance audiometry - a test to know if there is any fluid behind your ears.

Generally the symptoms takes around 3 weeks to settle down. You are on antibiotics ,so continue that. In addition to antibiotics you also need oral and nasal decongestants and Antihistaminics. Consult your doctor for that. You would also require Mucolytics too, like Mucinac etc

While you plan to visit the doctor, you can start chewing, chewing gums to get good relief , but only when you are not having pain. Take steam inhalations

Get well soon