Had biopsy for rash. May be due to herald patches. Prescribed different topical creams. How do I get rid of this?

I have had a biopsy for persistent rash that came back as pityriasis rosea. I was pretty sure that's what it was because of the herald patches. This is the 3rd time I have gotten it and it has been a year. My dermatologist says that I should not take hot baths and he keeps prescribing different topical creams. But as soon as I run out of them, it comes right back. My rash is mostly in "underwear" areas and runs distinctly down both sides of my ribcage as well as my thighs. Any thoughts on what I can do to make it go away?
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 34 minutes later
P Rosea is a disease with various causes. Although all the causes are uncertain, but the most important association is with human herpes virus 7. If there is a facility, get tested for this virus, else a trial of acyclovir tablet may help you. Another possibility is chronic streptococcal throat carriage. Please get a throat swab culture done. Discuss these two possibilities with your dermatologist. Let me know if you have any other doubts. Thank you