Had bilateral scaef oseotomy, lateral release and skin procedures. Painful to walk. What should I do?

I had a bilateral scaef oseotomy, lateral release and akin procedures December 2011, seven months ago. One foot is fine but the other i was unable to walk without discomfort. Folllowng x-rays it was discovered I needed to have the medial to lateral screw removed, as was prominent, and a chilectomy, This was done four weeks ago. I wore an orthorpaedic shoe for 2 weeks. I have a check-up appointment six weeks post op but have not been given any information rearding recovery time or advice about rehabilitation exercising. I still find it painful to walk putting full weight on toe. I hoped i would feel better than i do so I would like to know more about what to expect re recovery and any exercises i should/shouldn't be doing. I'm 55 year old female and before my original operation was very fit, going to the gym 3 times/week.
Posted Thu, 16 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 3 hours later

Any bone wound involving the depth of the cortex (screws and plates) needs a minimum of 8 weeks for healing such that the tensile strength is near normal.

Most important point to remember when a weight bearing bone is involved is that for first 2 weeks no attempts has to be made to walk or put weight on them.Later mild mobilization is permitted as the bones would have regained the strength to bear mild pull of the muscles attached.

Pain most of times persists for more than 4 weeks , need not worry.Pain after 4 weeks does not mean that there is defect in healing.Only if there is any amount of pain even after 8 weeks , care has to be taken and involved part be assessed.

Food XXXXXXX with calcium of calcium supplements would be necessary to good healing.

Hope I answered your query.

Please come up with follow ups if any.

Follow-up: Had bilateral scaef oseotomy, lateral release and skin procedures. Painful to walk. What should I do? 8 minutes later
Thank you very much for your advice. Could you please answer my query regarding any exercises that may aid recovery or whether I should wait until 8 weeks following operation?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 23 minutes later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, there would be need for exercises but after 8 weeks only, This will avoid dislocation or formation of bone spurs in future.

Do follow the link below which provides list of exercises which help in maintaining the strength of the foot muscles.These will help in maintaining good alignment in between the joints and muscles.

The above link is from one of the reliable website according to out panel.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.