Had bilateral retinal detachment. Eyesight in left eye nil after surgery. On oral steroids. What to do?

my cousin had a bilateral retinal detatchment .while his left eye is normal but right eye even after one month of surgery the eyesight is nil and the is sore.he is on oral sreroid.doctors say he has got cataract.his present iop is4
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 3 hours later
My Dear,
thanks for sending your query to us.
All this is not a good sign.A iop of 4 means there is not enough pressure building up.
A soft eye,no vision and a cataract,which again needs a surgery is a not too good combination.
oral steroids is a good option,but you have to be sure that the retina is fully attached if not then repeat surgery is needed with gas or oil injection.
I hope a OCT has been done to ensure that the anatomical apposition is there.
Don't you think it will be a good idea to show him to a good retina man to have a second opinion?
Please do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.