Had bilateral knee replacement done. Took lovenox for low hemoglobin. What should I do next?

My husband just had bilateral knee replacement two weeks ago. He lost quite a lot of blood during and after surgery. His hemoglobin went from 15 to 7.12. He was given the two units of blood that he donated previous to surgery and received two more from the bank. His platelets were 1100 at the time of discharge. In a repeat blood test three days after discharge, his count is still 1100. He finished his Lovenox and is now on two 325 mg of aspirin twice a day. Most of the doctors are saying that it is from the surgery and the blood loss. His primary said he thinks that level is way too high and that he should see a hematologist. What is you opinion?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

If you have a copy of your husband's most recent complete blood count this would be very helpful. I am not sure if the platelet count listed in your request is the actual count on the complete blood count because a count of 1,100 would be considered low. Normal platelet counts run between 150,000 and 450,000.
Surgery and trauma can sometimes cause a significant fluctuation in platelet counts.

I am not sure why he has been advised to take such a higher dose of aspirin. I would be interested to know why this is a recommendation by his physician.

Again if you could clarify the actual platelet count and possibly include a copy of the complete blood count this might be helpful.

Thanks again for sending your question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga