Had bicep tendon repaired and rotor cuff surgery, Lately shoulder and bicep pain throbbing. Reason?

I had bicep tendon repired and rotor cuff surgery 10yrs ago, I'm still active and workout. I teach boxing and holding the mitts. Lately my shoulder and bicep has been thorbbing off and in for about a week. No chest pains. No dizziness. No nausea.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

A throbbing pain in the shoulder and biceps are most likely related to the injury caused by stress due to the exercise.

Giving rest to your muscles for a few days will help in reducing the pain and soreness.

You can start with tablet Ibuprofen (Advil or Motrin) 400mg, one tablet after breakfast and dinner for three days. Hot fomentation and local analgesic gels will also help in relieving the pain.

I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications if over the counter medications are not helpful.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.