Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
i had an 5 x 3.8 benign right ovarian cyst which was operated on 8 XXXXXXX 2012. and today on 12 XXXXXXX an resident doctor while changing the bandage cut the end edges of the shiches.. the stching has been done internally. Is is ok it the end stiches are cut?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,
thanks for the query.

usually skin suturing will be done with non absorbable suture material, for cosmetic purpose doctor's prefer subcuticular suturing.

in this technique entire length of the suture material will be present between the layers of the skin, only the edges which will be tied and present outside.

may be while doing dressing your doctor might have found a little excess length of suture remaining outside which may be causing troubles like sticking to dressing material, leading to movement of inner sutures etc,

he might have cut the endings because of this, no need to worry if sufficient length of suture material with ties on both sides remains outside.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off? 1 hour later

but in my case no suture materil is seen outside. now?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
hi XXXXXXX,

then your doctor might have removed your sutures.
normally sutures will be kept in place for around 5 to 6 post operative days.
some doctors may follow different protocol and if the wound is clean and healthy he might have removed the sutures early.
anyhow you once ask the hospital staff and confirm.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off? 28 minutes later
if removed early will it cause any problem? will the stitching open up? will the skin tear?

hi XXXXXXX,

the possibilities are,

1. in case non absorbable suture material used and sutures removed,
if,
- the wound is clean and healthy, edges approximated well,
-you are not having excess abdominal fat,
-proper antibiotics continued for required time,
-activities like lifting, pulling, pushing weights etc are avoided,

usually the wound will heal completely without any problem.

2. non absorbable suture material used and edges trimmed which may not visible out side.

3. in some hospitals absorbable suture material may also be used where complete suture material will be buried in the wound.

so you don't worry, the doctor might have done according to their hospital protocol, if you ask him he will clarify.

take care.

Follow-up: Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off? 15 hours later
I DO HAVE ABDOMINAL FAT. I WEIGH 80 KGS. HOW LONG WILL THE WOUND TAKE TO GET PERMANENTLY HEELED. WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO DO THIS LIKE BEFORE? HOW LONG I DONT NEED TO AVOID PICKING UP HEAVY THINGS?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 10 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

if the incision is clean and healthy fat and weight may not cause much problem.
the incision wound on skin will usually heal in 1 week,
the abdominal wounds will heal in around 2 weeks,
you can do your routine work after 2 to 3 weeks.
you should not lift weights till 6 weeks.

take care.

Follow-up: Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off? 39 hours later
now since my cyst has been removed will i face any trouble getting pregnant? my left ovary is polycystic.

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi XXXXXXX,

possibly they might have removed cyst but not the entire ovary,
even if they removed right ovary also, left ovary will continue to produce ovum monthly.
polycystic ovary disease can lead to anovulation, there by leading to infertility.
so you have to get treated for it.
at the time of discharge you discuss this problem with your doctor, she will prescribe necessary treatment.

take care.

Follow-up: Had benign right ovarian cyst operation, internal stitching done. Is it a concern if the stitch endings are cut off? 4 hours later
is polycystic ovary the reason that i m fat?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 51 minutes later
hi XXXXXXX,

obesity not only depends on what we eat but also on the way our bodies processes the food and calories.

Actually obesity is said to play pathogenic role in PCOS(Poly cystic ovarian syndrome).
Obesity will be present in 50% women with PCOS.
Obesity leads to insulin resistance, increased production of estrogen which further favors hyperandrogenism and oligo or anovulation of PCOS.
Reducing weight will help in the treatment of PCOS along with medicines.

take care.