Had been treated for cancer all type having T cell. Has returned. What treatment should be provided now?

MY NEWPHE HAD BEEN TREATE FOR CANCER ALL TYPE HAVING T CELL after 1 and half year it came back again having around 80% blast whats your suggestion and what we HAVE to do now i mean treatment.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 4 hours later
Pediatric acute lymphocytic leukaemia (ALL) has a good outcome as compared to many other cancers, but still has a relapse rate of about 20-30%. The T-cell variety is usually more aggressive.

Unfortunately, your nephew has relapsed and the outcome for relapsed ALL is not very good.

The different treatment options available for him are:

1. Induction chemotherapy to try and achieve a second remission ( in this, complications are expected to be more than first treatment).

2. If he achieves a second remission, then continue further treatment, OR go for bone marrow transplant (BMT) if a matched sibling is available. (BMT may be better for final outcome).

3. If a second remission is not achieved, then also BMT may be tried but with inferior results.

4. We need to check for Philadelphia chromosome in the leukaemic cells. If it is positive, then imatinib therapy may give good results.

The long-term relapse-free chances are around 20-30%.
I hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.