Had bathroom accidents due to holding poops for long time. Is it related to irritable bowel syndrome?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
hello. i am 23 and male. i had 5 bathroom accidents in the past 8 years. is that something related to irritable bowel syndrome. actually that happened due to long holding of poops for about half an hour every-time. i don't have any other symptoms such as abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea etc. please help me with the reason for my problem
Posted Sun, 4 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for writing in

The information you provided does not point to irritable bowel syndrome

Can you please describe the symptoms you had when you had the bathroom accidents ?

Also please describe the accidents in detail

Is there any history of stress in your life ?

What is your job profile ?

Get back to me with this detail and I will help you out .....

Follow-up: Had bathroom accidents due to holding poops for long time. Is it related to irritable bowel syndrome? 2 hours later
Actually I had bathroom accidents because I couldn't reach bathroom in time. I had no other symptoms. I could hold them for about 30 minutes every time(from what I remember) and due to unavailability of washrooms I had it in my pants. I don't have much stress in my life and am still a students pursuing my masters. As this is happening once in a while I wanted to know the reason behind this so that I could avoid them in my future.

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 11 hours later
Hi

Thanks for writing in again

It seems there is some form of collitis and / or Irritable bowel syndrome

Here are few suggestions to treat and prevent it

Take a probiotic twice a day for seven to ten days
If this does not help go for a stool examination and take antibiotics as per culture report

Avoid junk food
Take plenty of fluids orally

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Wishing you a healthy life ahead

Follow-up: Had bathroom accidents due to holding poops for long time. Is it related to irritable bowel syndrome? 52 minutes later
even if there are no other symptoms could it be ibs? actually i don't have any problem with my digestive system except that i have bathroom accident once in a year or two. previously i approached other doctor and he mentioned that it was due to overloading of bowels. could it be the reason for this

Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 22 hours later
Hi

Urgency is commonly due to collitis or Irritable bowel syndrome

I would suggest you follow the instruction I have provided in the previous mail and get back to me after a stool report

If that comes normal - it would point the diagnosis to IBS

Hope this clarifies your doubts
Do write back in case of concern