Had bad night sweats. Having pins and needles in hand. Had spotting. On trifeme. Underlying cause?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Hi, I have had very bad night sweats the past 3 nights and today I have pins and needles in my right hand.
I am a 27 y.old female, I am currently menstruating but did have spotting the last couple of weeks (am on the pill trifeme)

I suffer from night sweats every now and then, probably 4-5 times in the last 18 months for a few nights in a row then it leaves, this is the first time I have had pins and needles associated with it
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 24 minutes later

Trifeme contraceptive pills can cause some side effects.
Breakthrough bleeding is one of them. So the inter-menstrual spotting you had could be due to that.
Night sweats can also be seen because of hormonal imbalance.
And usually pins and needles sensation, which is a tactile hallucination called as formication is seen in perimenopausal age group due to hormonal imbalance.
So the pills can be related to it. You may need either increasing the dose of the hormones or changing the brand.
You once consult gynecologist, get examined.
After that with her suggestion you can go for further treatment. Taking vitamin B12 supplementation also helps sometimes.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Had bad night sweats. Having pins and needles in hand. Had spotting. On trifeme. Underlying cause? 4 minutes later
Thank you.
Do I need a referral from a GP for a gynaecologist?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 8 minutes later
If you can approach a gynecologist directly you can consult.
If not you go through GP referral.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.