Had bad back pain and stomach hurting. Has gall stones. Cause for pain?

General Surgeon
My mom has a very bad back pain since 5 days and now her stomach is hurting with it also....the very top of her stomach...the right side with her back...what can this be? She has gallstones...can it be this? Please let me know im very worried abt her..thank u
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, she is having gallstones pain.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

Yes, this is typical gallstones pain. It appear in the upper right abdomen and radiates to the back. Nausea and vomiting can be present. Symptoms are usually triggered by fatty foods, spicy foods or alcohol.
If the pain does not go away, she should visit a doctor as soon as possible. Gallstones can cause gallbladder inflammation what can lead even to SEPSIS. That is why, she should not wait any longer (5 days is enough).

Abdominal ultrasound should be done and surgery considered.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Had bad back pain and stomach hurting. Has gall stones. Cause for pain? 17 minutes later
How can she be checked if it is an infection? And isnt there anyway to cure this without surgery? And what can she take for the pain right now? Can u plz tell me a medication that wont interfere with her current medications which are buspar and for thyroid...thank u soo much :)
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Simple blood work and CRP level will tell if there is any infection. Gallstones can not be cured without surgery. Gallstones surgery is usually done laparoscopicaly so its not that bad.
To help with the pain she should try Metamizole and Buscolisine. Hot bath can be also helpful.