Had bad asperations from copd. Took antibiotics. Taking predisone. Would this cause ankles and legs to swell?

was released from hospital 2 days ago after 1 week of bad asperations from my copd i am off all antibiotics but taking 80 mg day of predisone. would this cause my legs and anles to swell twice the size they normally are. i am also on 2 l oxygen right now
my ox level is 91 at rest and hr is 115

Posted Tue, 24 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, prednisone can contribute to swelling

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing in.

I can understand your concern ma'am. But you are in fact correct, prednisone can in fact lead to or promote swelling of hands, legs, feet, etc; as it can result in fluid retention and/or a reduction in urine output.

So yes ma'am, you are in fact right. But I am sure your doctor has weighed the pros and cons; as in controlled amounts (prednisone) the swelling can be controlled ma'am, do not worry.

I hope this information helps. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications.

Best wishes.