Had bad allergic reaction, body swelled up. Given adrenaline and cortezone injection. How long will the injection remain in the body?

Excellent

Diabetologist
Question
Hi
I had a bad allergic reaction body swelled up, I was given adrenaline and cortezone injection, please can you tell me how long the cortizone from this injection will remain my system, and is there any way one can detox the system from the cortizone?
Thanks
XXXXX
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Half life one and half hours.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

Cortizone(Hydrocortisone) is a Corticosteroid which is naturally produce in the adrenal gland in the human body.

It is a short acting corticosteroid and its half life is one and half hours. What it means is its efficiency decreases and gets eliminated from the blood in about 5-6 hours.

As it is a natural corticosteroid hormone there is no need to detoxify the body.

Hope the answer helps you.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications.

Follow-up: Had bad allergic reaction, body swelled up. Given adrenaline and cortezone injection. How long will the injection remain in the body? 2 days later
Hi I have just had a barium sulphate mri scan can you please tell me how quickly it is expelled from the body please?

Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
5 hours.

Detailed Answer:

Oral contrast through barium meal test is taken from 1 to 4 hours after swallowing barium sulphate. It stays to a maximum of five hours in the gut after which it is gradually excreted through stools. As you pass stools 5 hours after swallowing barium sulphate, the contrast is gradually excreted.

Hope the answer helps you.