Ask a Dentist   »  

Had back tooth extracted. Having extreme pain, severe swelling of jaw under chin and tongue. Advise?

Hi, I had a back tooth extracted 2 days ago, and I'm having extremely painful, severe swelling of my jaw, under my chin and tongue. It's a hard painful area that developed under my chin. Ice packs don't seem tobe relieving it.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Hard and painful swelling indicate towards infection.A case of dry socket might also be suspected.

In this case, i would suggest you to revisit your dentist for post extraction follow that the healing socket can be well examined clinically.

Also, please elaborate upon the nature of pain.If the pain is dull or sharp?continuous or intermittent?

Are you taking antibiotics and analgesics?upon consultation you can start a new course.

If a case of dry socket is confirmed clinically, then there is different treatment modality to overcome pain and infection.

Hope it helps.Let me know for further queries.