Had back pain. MRI showed disc herniation with secondary spinal canal stenosis. Findings?

Question
My mom underwent MRI as recommanded by orthopaedic surgeon as we went for back pain from a year..for which used to take pain killer tab and physiotherapy in between.last week she did MRI ...and the reports says
L4L5 disc herniation with secondary spinal canal stenosis by thickening of ligament um gleam...so she requires decompression and screws n rod fixing surgery.her pain scale is only between 5-6,does normal daily activities.now I need your valuable opinion about the condition and surgery
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 18 minutes later
Thanks for the query
I understnad your concern
I am a neurologist and I do see these types of cases in my daily practice. These patients need a careful neurological assessment by a qualified neurologist. If there are clinical neurolodeficits, yes, I agree for the surgery. If there are no clinical deficits and the patient has pain alone, I advice for medical treatment alone and if needed interventional pain management. MRI in these cases generally overestimates the degree of problem.

Please get back if you need any help/clarfication
Best wishes

Follow-up: Had back pain. MRI showed disc herniation with secondary spinal canal stenosis. Findings? 18 minutes later
Dr told her 75% of spinal canal z compressed and may prone to corda equina syndrome at any time..or little later..v r totally worried of that.as per now c has only pain no other symptoms or weakness or numbness.her EHL power z good.I'm trying to attach the report but working dr.

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 minutes later
Thanks for the feed back
I understnad your oncern
Please get examined by a local neurologist before undergoing surgery
I do not know which part of INdia are you from so that I will suggest you the names of the doctors to see for the help
Best wishes

Follow-up: Had back pain. MRI showed disc herniation with secondary spinal canal stenosis. Findings? 6 minutes later
I'm from Bangalore in electronic city.can u place suggest any experienced dr here.thank u

Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 1 minute later
Thanks for the feed back
If you are from Bangalore,you can come and XXXXXXX me in the XXXXXXX HRUDAYALAYA hospital on any day

Please let me know

My number is 0000

Follow-up: Had back pain. MRI showed disc herniation with secondary spinal canal stenosis. Findings? 3 minutes later
Thanks a lot dr
NH z near to us...we will get appointment and come by next week.

You are welcome
Best wishes