Had back injury long back. How long the pain will be there?

Nov 2013

Thank you Dr.Sudir XXXXXXX you have helped me greatly.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 9 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

The 2001 accident would have partly contributed, that is, it would have led to mild degeneration and minimal bulging of discs in lumbar region. However, if you had not suffered from another injury, and done good back extension exercises, your situation would have remained under good control. What I mean is that the second injury in 2010 worsened the disc prolapse resulting in significant compression of the lumbar nerves, which is not responding to conservative management (with medications, physical therapy and injections).

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Follow-up: Had back injury long back. How long the pain will be there? 7 minutes later
Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX again thank you for the clarification. This is my last set of question, I have HTN that is controlled, and I have difficulties taking antibiotics, with this history am a poor surgical candidate or would you still recommend surgery. Last question, if I do have surgery will I regain the feeling in my foot and lose the pain in my hip, buttocks and left leg?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back with more details.

A history of hypertension does not necessarily make you a high risk for surgery. If your BP is well controlled, then there is no added risk. In any case, the pre-anesthetic check up would help further in assessing the surgery risk.

Your pain (in hip, buttocks and leg) would improve with surgery. Numbness would stop worsening after surgery, however, improvement would happen on its own over a period of time.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)