Had attack of diverticulitis. Now having same pain again. Taking Metamucil. Is it new attack?

Gastroenterologist
Question
HISTORY: Two months ago, my husband had his first attack of diverticulitis. He was diagnosed via CT scan. After a round of Cipro & Flagyl, a blood test showed a normal white cell count and no signs of inflammation. (Colonoscopies 2 and 7 years ago showed minimal diverticulosis.) He slowly transitioned from a low fiber diet to a normal diet plus Metamucil.

WHAT'S HAPPENING NOW: After eating a Burger King hamburger on a road trip this last weekend, he started having that same diverticulitis pain, but it was very mild. Over the course of the past three days, it has gotten better and he's now just a little sore. He's back on a low fiber diet.

QUESTION: Is this a new attack of diverticulitis? or has he not totally healed from the one he had two months ago? Since the discomfort never progressed and has gotten much better, we don't know if he should get another CT scan or just keep doing what he's doing, adding a little more fiber every day until he's ready to get back to normal and back on the Metamucil.

Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 56 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

I would like to know where exactly does he feel the pain?
Is he constipated?

Follow-up: Had attack of diverticulitis. Now having same pain again. Taking Metamucil. Is it new attack? 9 minutes later
He is not constipated. In fact, he had a little diarrhea when he started eating again.

The pain is in his lower left abdomen, just like it was when he first developed diverticulitis two months ago, but it was much, MUCH milder this time.

The mild lower left abdominal pain started after he ate that burger (we don't eat much red meat or processed food), but never got worse. Within 36 hours, it was no longer pain, it was just discomfort.

He is very careful on the Mayo Clinic low-fiber diet not to let himself get constipated.

Both the pain and discomfort are now gone, but he's only planning to reintroduce higher fiber foods slowly because he's worried they'll come back.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 28 hours later
There are two possibilities -
1. A new episode of milder diverticulitis
2. Colitis possibly due to infection.

Since he is asymptomatic now, there is no need for another CT scan.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Had attack of diverticulitis. Now having same pain again. Taking Metamucil. Is it new attack? 8 hours later
Does he need antibiotics or anything else, or should he just keep doing what he's doing?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 hours later
No, there is no need for antibiotics.
Since he had diarrhea, you can give him probiotic supplements.

I hope that answers your question.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini