Had asthma. Feeling heaviness in heart with irregular heart beat. How to avoid this?

Hi Doc, for the last 3 months i've felt a sensation in my heart, not a pain. the only way i can describe it is by saying its like an anxious feeling, like somethings about to happen. but i dont feel it my heart does(strange i know). Sometimes when the sensation is strong my heart feels heavy, doesnt happen often just twice. It doesnt feel like i skipped a heart beat, heart rate maybe slighty faster but nothing substantial(possibly just because its on my mind now). Im 26 years old, im panamanian i excercise about 2-3 times a week. i do drink plenty of coffee but i've recently stopped. I use to smoke but that was about 8 years ago. My mother mentioned that i had a large artery on my heart when i was born but went away on its own as an infant. i also use to have asthma as a child before age 5. What could this be? and could it be related to forces or influences outside the body? What should i avoid? Thank you for your time.
Posted Mon, 18 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 35 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Probably, you are having irregular beats?
Whatever it is, it needs to be DOCUMENTED by ElectroCardioGram (EKG).

A thorough history and physical examination is the first step –

Electrocardiogram (EKG) – Routine 12-lead – is part of clinical examination.
HOLTER (24 to 48 hour ambulatory monitoring) is done to analyse and plan for further management, if a routine ECG does not show the arrhythmia.

ECHOcardiogram is necessary to see the heart valves (muscle (Cardiomyopathy) and heart function (Ejection fraction, wall motion abnormality). Especially so, because of past history.

LABORATORY work-up is routine - like blood counts, sugar, urea, electrolytes (potassium in particular).

The treating doctor may suggest them depending on need, based on his assessment of the situation.
See a doctor first and get examined

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck