Had arthroscopic on knee. On medication, Have stomach cramps, loose stool. Reason for upset stomach?

Pediatrician
Question
I recently had arthroscopic of my left knee on April 11. On April 15 ,I had my first bowel movement, a good one. Ever since, I have had stomach cramps and loose stools, light brown and fuzzy. Not sure what my next step should be, I have been eating oatmeal and foods that are starchy. The medication I was on had acetamephine
in it and I stopped taking it as it was making my stomach upset. Any suggestions, I see my ortho dr tomorrow. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 7 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

You have not mentioned what antibiotic, if any, was prescribed to you following arthroscopy. Antibiotics are known to cause loose motions. By now they must have been discontinued. You can take some probiotics and increase the intake of yoghurt/curd to recondition your intestines. Do take plenty of liquids in the form of lemonade, coconut water, buttermilk so that you are not dehydrated.

Acetaminophen usually causes gastritis (burning sensation) rather than diarrhoea.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Rajiv K Khandelwal
http://goo.gl/SuCjl