Had anti-nausea patch after surgery. Have severely dilated pupils. Not getting cured. Is this normal?

I had an anti-nausea patch on for 24 hours after surgery. My pupils dialated severely and I took it off and called the dr. The surgeon said it could take 'hours' to undialate my eyes after patch removal. It's now been over 24 hours.. is this normal.. my left eye is still dialated
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 6 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
The anti nausea patch is a circular flat patch designed for continuous release of scopolamine following application to an area of intact skin on the head, behind the ear. Each system contains 1.5 mg of scopolamine base. 

Elimination: The exact elimination pattern of scopolamine has not been determined. Following patch removal, plasma levels decline in a log linear fashion with an observed half-life of 9.5 hours.

Half life is the time for the drug to lose half its strength. As an example. You take a 50 milligram pill, and its half life is 18 hours. In 18 hours 25 milligrams will still be in your system. In another 18 hours 1/2 of the 25 milligrams would still be in your system, meaning 12.5 mgs. In another 18 hours 1/2 of 12.5 mgs, which would be 6.25 mgs, and so on. 

So you should not worry as it is normal and it may take few hours more to stabiilize the symptoms and complete removal of drug from your system.

I think I have explained you in detail regarding the action of this drug however if you still have some queriers,you are welcome to ask them.
Best of luck.