Had anterior knee pain. MRI showed no problems. Physio program consists of mobility and stretching. Help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had anterior knee pain in my right knee for 2 years. An MRI showed no problems, and have been undergoing physio for 10 months. The physio program conists of mobility, stretching, balance/ proprioception and strength but is not helping. I now have developed anterior knee pain in my left knee.
I've now had to sacrifice my military career because of this injury. Are there any other courses of action other than physic that could help? Getting desperate.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use knee brace for earlier relief.

Detailed Answer:
From description it seems your knee pain might be due to chondromalacia patella(patellofemoral pain).Chondromalacia patella is weakening and softening of the cartilage on the underside of the kneecap (patella).
Chondromalacia patella is one of the most common causes of knee pain, especially in women.
Treatment of patellofemoral pain often begins with simple measures. Rest your knee as much as possible. Avoid any activities that increase the pain, such as climbing stairs. Specific exercises can strengthen the muscles that support your knees and control limb alignment, such as your quadriceps, hamstrings and the muscles around your hips.
The physiotherapy that you are getting will help you in the long term.
Get your running shoes examined for proper biomechanical fit.
Heat application and use of knee brace is advised for proper knee support at the time of exercise.
Avoid such activities as squatting, kneeling, heavy lifting, climbing, etc.
Adding glucosamine sulfate as supplement after consulting your orthopedician may help in relieving your symptoms.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.