Had anterior fusion surgery done. Feeling uncomfortable. Can EMG test detect the problem?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
I am 4 yrs post surgery, anterior fusion c/5/6/7. recently herniated c/4 and am pretty uncomfortable. will EMG test pinpoint which level is problematic? thankyou
Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

MRI of the cervical spine shows the structural problems with the nerve that is compressed by the herniated disc.

I agree with you that the needle EMG would give more information regarding the dysfunction of the nerve compressed by the herniated disc. A neurologist trained in EMG would be able to do the procedure.

I hope it helps.

Please get back if you require any additional information.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad,
My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My email: YYYY@YYYY
My Website: WWW.WWWW.WW My blog: WWW.WWWW.WW