Had ankle surgery due to accident. Ankle swells and painful with limping. Asked to loose weight. Suggest?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Regarding my Ankle
had a bike fall on Sep ' 07 ; went through a minor surgery (K-wire) ; the surgeon removed the 2 pins after 5 weeks from my ankle. However after that the area just swells & pains a lot if I do stressful job, running around or even if I walk for 3-4 kms or hours . I start limping the next day or even in the evening with pain. Did everything - X-RAY, CT scan etc etc ; all said just lose weight & start using ankle more. Hwvr it's easier said than done :)
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be possibly due to Reactive Synovitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Its not uncommon to see pain and swelling in the ankle joint after an implant (wires or screws) surgery that has been performed many years back. In my practice I see lot many cases with similar presentation.

It could possibly be due to mild inflammatory or reactive Synovitis in the ankle joint secondary to excessive stress or strain that is imparted during the activities of daily living.

A detailed physical examination followed by Blood workup (which shows any signs of infection or inflammation) and MRI scan of the ankle joint (which picks up any soft tissue pathology in the ligaments or tendons or involves Rest to the ankle to allow healing, Ice packing of the area once in 2 hours, wrapping an elastic compression bandage around ankle, elevation of the foot end during night times.
Use simple medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation.

QUIT SMOKING, if your are a smoker.

Also, if you can send me any of your old medical records or reports, it will be a bit helpful in possibly making a diagnosis of your current problem.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further