Had ankle sprain, followed RICE therapy. Sometimes joints are painful. Should I start with the ankle exercises?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had an ankle sprain. I followed RICE therapy for 15 days. Swelling on foot is not there. But sometimes joints are painful.

Should i start with the ankle exercises and which exercises to do and for how long? Should I continue Icing?
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
After an ankle sprain, it takes 3-5 weeks for the full recovery to take place. Since there is no pain and swelling in the area, the joint pain will also subside gradually with mild pain killers and hot fomentation. You can stop icing the area now.
To start with, do passive dorsiflexion and plantar flexion of the foot. You can also do a passive ankle rotation. This you can continue for next 7 days (Thrice a day after hot fomentation). After that, start with partial weight bearing on the ankle. Gradually you can start with full weight bearing if there is no pain.
You can also use an elastic ankle brace till then for better relief.
Do consult a physical therapist for proper exercises.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.