Had angioplasty done. Getting severe burning pain in arm. Worried for cardiac complication

I have severe burning pain in left arm forearm and dorsum of hand for 1 year I had 2 angioplasties . I am worried if this is cardiac. the cardiologist says no ,he did an echo and it was ok in XXXXXXX I need to see an expert in cardiology to diagnose this incapacitating pain ,it can come at rest and is rather persistent now.
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

It is understandable with a history of 2 previous angioplasties, to worry about the possibility of a cardiac complication.
In most persons, though everyone is different, cardiac related pain presents with pain in the chest which may then radiate to the left (arm or neck), it is usually described as a crushing, tight or heavy pain. It may be associated with other symptoms such as shortness of breath, palpitations, swelling or profuse sweating.
In the early stages the pain occurs after excess activity but can progress and occur at rest.

Burning pain that is in the forearm and extending into the dorsum of the hand may be cardiac but it more sounds like it has a neurological origin.
There are various nerves that arise in the neck and are responsible for supply specific areas of the upper limb,it sounds as though the discomfort is confined to one of these dermatomes (area of the skin supplied by particular nerves).
To determine which nerve is involved, your doctor will identify the dermatome.
There are a number of different reasons for neuralgia (nerve related discomfort), your doctor will identify the reason based on the history and examination.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions